A person was reported as trapped when fire broke out in a Lelant Downs property in the early hours of New Year’s Day.

Cornwall Fire Rescue

Fire Control was called at 3.45am by a person stating there was smoke inside their property. Two appliances were mobilised from St Ives Fire Station, along with a station manager from Penzance.

During the 999 call, the person stated that their partner was unable to leave due to a health condition. At this point an additional appliance was mobilised from Tolvaddon Fire Station, Camborne.

The call handler remained on the line with the caller for approximately ten minutes, after which both occupants were able to exit the property.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property to extinguish the fire, supported by crews from the oncoming appliances.

The fire was accidental and ignition was caused by a candle. For information on how to use candles safely in the home, click here.