After a break during the pandemic, the St Ives Biathlon, organised by the town’s Surf Life Saving Club, is returning this year, on Saturday, 17th June.
The headline sponsor will be Penwith College. The endurance test, first staged 25 years ago, draws competitors from all over the country, as well as international entries. The last time it was staged more that 330 people took part.
The contest has five categories:
- The main event: a run from St Ives slipway, following the coast path to Carbis Bay beach, then swimming back to the start line;
- Novice and Junior events, both running from the slipway to Porthminster beach, then swimming back to the start line;
- A ‘mini-athlon’, especially for six- to 12-year-olds (which will take place on a different date this year); and
- A team contest, where competitors can buddy-up, with one running and one swimming.
The biathlon is a major fundraising event for St Ives Surf Life Saving Club. The tradition involves the community and supports current lifeguards and the lifesavers of the future. The club is delighted to have gained the support of Penwith College as the headline sponsor.
Other local businesses have also come on board, but there is still time to get involved and back the event. There are great marketing opportunities available in return for different levels of sponsorship, to suit all budgets.
“On behalf of St Ives Surf Life Saving Club, I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has shown so much enthusiasm for the biathlon, from volunteers stepping forward to organise through to businesses sponsoring the event, including our new title sponsor, Penwith College,” said Chris Simpson, chair of St Ives Surf Life Saving Club and lead organiser of the biathlon.
“We are so pleased to be able to bring it back, following the need to cancel due to Covid restrictions in the past few years. It will be the 25th St Ives Biathlon that our club has organised, which we can only do with everyone’s support. We could not be prouder. If anyone would like to find out more — from how to enter through to how a business can sponsor the event — please visit our Facebook, Instagram or Twitter pages.”
• To find out more, or to discuss sponsorship opportunities, email Helen Mulhern.